10. Great Wolf Lodge is a great place for an action-packed family getaway (Review here). If your kids get bored or need a change of pace, visit nearby IKEA (Review here) or Entertrainment Junction (Review here).
9. Lookout Mountain, featuring Ruby Falls, Rock City, and the Incline Railway is a great place to start your exploration of Chattanooga, Tennessee. You can also visit the Tennessee Aquarium, take a tour on the Chattanooga Ducks explore the Creative Discovery Museum.
8. Hocking Hills State Park has everything you need for a mellow family camping expedition. Take a ride on the Hocking Valley ScenicRailway, check out the caves and cliffs, or go canoeing.
7. Opryland can be a base for your Nashville adventure or a self-contained resort vacation. There are multiple restaurants and entertainment venues on site. We have multiple reviews. Check them out!
6. Clifty Falls State Park is a great nearby place for hiking, camping, and other relaxing family activities. There is an Inn with a restaurant as well as campgrounds. See our review here.
5. The Breaks Interstate Park on the Kentucky/Virginia state line offers everything for an action-packed family getaway or a laid-back commune with nature. There is Geocaching, hiking, peddle boats and canoes, a water park, white water rafting, and a museum. Accommodations include a lodge, cabins and cottages, and camping.
4. Cumberland Falls State Resort Park features a lodge, cabins, and camping. There are multiple hiking trails, including the one that leads to Cumberland Falls and its’ world-famous Moonbow. See our review here.
3. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee are great places for family fun. Everything from camping, hiking, and fishing to the Ripley’s Aquarium and Dollywood are available for your entertainment. You only need to decide what kind of vacation you would like to have and all the attractions are there. Check out our review!
2. The Land Between the Lakes offers hiking, biking, horseback riding, archery, target practice, water sports, and many other activities. There is also an elk and bison prairie and a planetarium. Camping is available at Land Between the Lakes, and Lake Barkley State Resort Park is nearby with more lodging and activities. See our review of Lake Barkley State Resort Park here.
By guest contributor: