If you’re making a list and checking it twice, be sure to support local businesses this year. I always start my Christmas shopping at The Flea Off Market Holiday Bazaar, but if you can’t make it out this year, there are still plenty of great local gift options all over town:
- Dundee Candy Shop has more candy crammed into its tiny Bardstown Road store than I’ve ever seen in one place. This is the perfect place for small stocking stuffers and party treats!
- The Parent Teacher Store has a lot more than just school supplies. This is my go-to place for all those science toys, board games, and puzzles. There’s a huge selection of arts and crafts projects as well.
- Hyland Glass is a great spot to pick up a ready-made gift or to start your family’s tradition of blowing glass ornaments. Read our review here.
- Climb Nulu and Suspend Louisville offer memberships and package deals for the fitness enthusiast or spirited child in your family- or for your whole family. What better way to spend quality time than by racing to the top of a rock wall?
- Mama’s Hip offers parent-child activities, childbirth support groups, and all kinds of baby products you won’t find in a big box store.
- Carmichael’s Bookstore not only supplies books from local authors, but also popular children’s books and autographed copies of popular books.
- Brownsboro Hardware and Quest Outdoors have everything you need for the outdoorsy person on your list, from The Big Green Egg to camping gear.
- The Earthy Browns make all manner of natural toiletries, including handmade fleur-de-lis shaped soaps. Black Dog Candle Co. makes all natural nontoxic candles, and a portion of the proceeds benefit local animal shelters. Moss Hill also makes beautiful handmade soaps and other toiletries and is sold at many local stores in addition to their own two Louisville locations.
- Scout on Market is a one-stop-shop for unique locally handmade gifts and home décor.
- Heine Brothers Coffee gift cards are my favorite teacher gift. Because let’s face it, they work hard and they need the caffeine.
Bonus:Barkstown Road has two Louisville locations and it the perfect place to find something special for your furry family member.
For more awesome Louisville stores, see our lists from 2014 http://www.louisvillefamilyfun.net/2014/12/top-10-locally-owned-stores-in.html and 2013 http://www.louisvillefamilyfun.net/2013/11/top-10-locally-owned-shopping-stores-in.html as well!
By Guest Contributor: Maggie