1. Playthings Toy Shoppe is a great place to buy gifts, and they also offer free gift wrapping! There are two locations and they carry things you won’t find in the big box stores.
2. Schimpff’s Confectionary is a great place to pick up treats for Holiday parties and stockings, and while you’re there you can visit their candy museum. (If you need nut-free candy, head over to Art Eatables.) There are numerous other adorable shops on Spring Street from Dress and Dwell to Riverside Cigars.
3. Heine Brothers Coffee gift certificates are my go-to teacher gift. I also wouldn’t mind finding Heine Brothers coffee beans in my stocking!
4. 5-0-Lou is a great new shop on Frankfort Avenue full of locally-made wares and art. There’s a huge selection of t-shirts, local foods, and beauty products from Louisville Beer Syrup (non-alcoholic and great on Christmas morning pancakes!) to the Reuse 502 collection of home and baby products.
5. Revelry Boutique Gallery features jewelry and art made by local artists. You will also find apparel and household goods. Don’t forget to say hi to Major, the store’s dog-in-residence.
6. Louisville Stoneware is the perfect place to take your kids to make a special cookie plate for Santa that you will cherish for years to come. You can also pick up gifts for everyone on your list, from julep and coffee cups to serving platters and ornaments.
7. Quest Outdoors has finished remodeling and consolidating into one huge location in Shelbyville Road Plaza, full of all kinds of gear and clothing for every outdoor enthusiast on your list. If your outdoor enthusiast is more into grilling, check out Brownsboro Hardware for an extensive grill and accessory collection which includes The Big Green Egg.
8. Carmichael’s Book Store is Louisville’s largest independent book retailer. Not only can you find books from local writers there, but they also have a dedicated children’s book store in the Highlands.
9. Heimerdinger Cutlery is a great place to take your knives to get sharpened before your Holiday feast or buy new ones if you haven’t yet invested in a quality set. They carry everything from pocket knives for your Boy Scout to Shun and Wusthoff for your kitchen to shaving products for dad.
10. Mama’s Hip and The Diaper Fairy Cottage are great places to find unique baby items for the expectant parents on your list.
Top 10 Locally Owned Stores 2015
Top 10 Locally Owned Stores 2014
Top 10 Locally Owned Stores 2013
By Guest Contributor: Maggie