Metro United Way Developmental Screening Hub
*this is a sponsored post
The Metro United Way Developmental Screening Hub is a must for parents with newborn to age 5 that are wondering about their child’s development.
It can be an overwhelming task for parents, knowing if their children are walking, talking, and interacting as they should. Metro United Way’s Developmental Screening hub can help caregivers understand their child’s strengths and identify any areas that need encouragement. It empowers families with the knowledge to help children reach their full potential.
WHY USE DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING?
A child’s brain develops more in the first five years of life than at any other time. During these years it’s important to build the foundation for life-long learning. Development screening helps parents understand how a child is learning and growing so they can celebrate their child’s strengths and have the tools to support their development.
WHAT IS DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING?
Developmental screening empowers parents and caregivers by helping them understand how their child is growing and learning. By playing games and answering questions, parents and caregivers can get a quick check on a child’s milestones such as smiling, waving, walking, and talking. Developmental screening can also help parents and caregivers know what milestones are appropriate for their child.
WHAT IS THE DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING HUB?
The Developmental Screening Hub is a free program for children 2 months to 5 ½ years of age. The Hub provides parents and caregivers with the opportunity to complete a developmental screening called the Ages & Stages Questionnaire®. If a parent has questions about their child’s development, or the screening identifies a child who needs a little encouragement, trained coordinators connect families to services that can help. If the family needs help in any area outside of education, the coordinators can connect them to other services.
Parents participating in the Hub will:
- Receive a FREE book upon completion of each questionnaire.
- Discover their child’s strengths.
- Learn about developmentally-appropriate milestones.
- Identify areas of development that may need encouragement and/or support.
- Be connected to appropriate resources and community supports.
- Be able to monitor their child’s development over time.
WHAT ARE THE AGES & STAGES QUESTIONNAIRES®?
The Ages & Stages Questionnaires® are short forms which help parents and caregivers identify a child’s strengths and any areas that need encouragement and support. They are completed every 3 to 6 months until the child turns 5 years old. The questionnaires screen a child’s ability to:
- Help themselves
- Interact with others
- Regulate emotions
- Adapt to their environment
HOW DOES THE AGES & STAGES DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING HUB WORK?
- Sign up for Ages & Stages Questionnaires® by filling out the form HERE.
- Receive a link to complete the questionnaire via email.
- Play some games with your child and answer some questions.
- Metro United Way will call with any questions about your responses.
- Receive a letter with the results, a FREE BOOK, helpful tips, fun activities, and connections to resources.
- When it’s time, you will receive the next questionnaire. Expect them every few months until your child is 5 ½.
Find out what is going on in Louisville.